Luther

Luther is located in northeastern Lake County in Ellsworth Township.

In 1880, the firm of Luther and Wilson established a sawmill here and the town was called Wilson. It was renamed Luther in 1881 for B. T. Luther of the firm, when the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad built a station here during the big lumber boom. The town was organized as a village in 1893.

Despite its rural location and small size, Luther has survived throughout the years, primarily as a tourist community. It has its own school, post office, and community building, with a few small businesses, stores and restaurants.

The Little Manistee River flows through town, forming a pond at the backside of the recently rebuilt dam - a nice place to try for brown trout. The Pine River also flows about 4 miles north, with several canoe landings adjacent to town.

Between canoers, cottage owners and fishermen, Luther is the prime location to get supplies, gas and food, as well as a taste of down-home friendliness!